Our artisan pizza dough is leavened with yeast. It is important to know that that the activity of yeast is controlled by temperature. Warmer temperatures will mean faster fermentation; cooler temperatures will slow the process down. Keep your pizza dough in the plastic bag while defrosting and proofing. The dough is ready to use when it has inflated the plastic bag, shows signs of tiny bubbles on the surface and is extensible and easy to form. If you are having trouble stretching the dough out, cover it with plastic and let it “rest” for 15 minutes. Here are three easy ways to defrost your pizza dough for delicious results:
1. Overnight- Defrost overnight in fridge and then let sit at room temperature for 1 hour prior to forming pizza.
2. Same day- Defrost in a 70°F degree room for 8-10 hours.
3. Fast thaw- Defrost in tepid water until dough is soft to the touch, then leave dough in warm (80°F degree spot) for 1-2 hours.
Once your dough is ready, add your favorite toppings and bake at 475°F for 12 – 14 minutes, or until dough is deep brown in color.
- Use minimal toppings. This dough tastes great, don’t weigh it down!
- Space toppings evenly over the pie and don’t overload the center.
-Preheat oven to 475°F degrees. The best pizza comes from a very hot oven. Open your doors, turn on the fan and be ready for the smoke alarm to go off!
-Form your pizza directly on parchment paper and then slip parchment onto a very hot stone or pre-heated heavy-duty sheet pan.
- To substitute for a pizza peel, try using the back side of a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment.
Classic Pizza Margarita
Start with a base of Piper’s Pizza Sauce (no more than ½ cup). Slice a ball of fresh mozzarella and space slices evenly over the pie. Sprinkle fresh grated parmesan and bake. Place several leaves of fresh basil on the pizza as soon as it’s out of the oven.
Bacon and Egg
It’s not just for breakfast any more! Try a simple base of béchamel, a dusting of a grated hard cheese, pre-cooked thick sliced bacon and a farm-fresh egg or two. Bake the pizza about 5-6 minutes before cracking the egg right in the middle. Return the pie to oven until the egg is cooked.
Potato and Onion
Brush pizza crust with olive oil before topping it with very thinly sliced potatoes, onions and fresh parmesan.